This employee is responsible for accounting and support services under the general supervision of the City Recorder. This position will perform day to day accounting functions for the Town of Oakland.
Essential Functions of the Job
- Performs technical accounting duties.
- Reconciles 15 individual bank accounts.
- Analyzes and identifies bank statement variances.
- Ensures all cash balances reconcile to monthly trial balance report.
- Posts journal entries via general ledger accounting software package.
- Performs monthly expense variance analysis.
- Assists with preparation of month-end financial reporting.
- Assists with the preparation of other reports provided to management.
- Assists with year-end audit preparation.
- Ensures the accuracy of financial statements in accordance with GAAP and compliance with internal policies.
- Interfaces with the management of various departments.
- Performs other duties as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of basic principles and methods of accounting and finance.
- Knowledge of business English and arithmetic.
- Knowledge of modern office practices, procedures, and equipment.
- Knowledge of the application of accounting principles applied to routine transactions. Ability to make calculations rapidly and accurately.
- Ability to exercise good judgment in evaluating situations and making decisions.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with all levels of government officials.
- Ability to apply accounting principles to municipal finance.
- Ability to use keyboards accurately on calculators, typewriters, and computers.
- Ability to work independently.
- Strong Excel and database skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Graduation from a standard high school, or equivalent, including or supplemented by courses in accounting principles and practices.
- At least five years of general ledger accounting experience with a strong technical accounting background.
- Must be bondable; pass a credit check.
- Must pass a criminal background check; never convicted of a felony.
- Must be a United States Citizen or have obtained legal work status.
- Minimum of two years of Municipal Government Accounting is preferred.
- Associates degree in Accounting.
$16.32-$21.39 per hour plus benefits
How to Apply
Applications can be picked up at Oakland City Hall, 170 Doss Circle or downloaded here.
Completed applications are to be directed to:
Oakland City Hall
ATT: Town Recorder
PO Box 56
170 Doss Circle
Oakland, TN 38060
Employment is subject to a background check and drug screening.
It is the policy of the Town of Oakland that all persons are entitled to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or any other lawfully protected classification. 9-13-1tc